Monday, August 08, 2005

of Malay and arts




Malay architechture always fascinated me. At the Artist Village, the concept of Rumah Melayu was really a feast to the eyes. I like the intricate designs at the rooftops and I wish I have very good camera to take its picture. Well, I have just to be content with my digital and more creative in taking the pictures I wanted.

We cannot find these kind of carvings and intricate design at modern Malay house. In fact even my grandma's house in Johor was no longer adorned with these beautiful arts. The only ones lefts are maybe a few in Malacca. Nowadays no houseowners wanted to retain this old seni, they are more into modern looks. Oh! How I missed these beautiful artistic carvings. I forget though, what its call.


THE ARTIST

We met Ajis Mohamad at his stall in the Artist Village. He was finishing a big underwater scenery for a client from Miri, Sarawak. He was excited to see us. Mona and Nab known him as they have interviewed him before. This was my first time meeting Ajis who is one of the three world underwater artists. His works are well known internationally. In fact he is so famous that even his reprint cost around RM100. So when we asked how much he got for the underwater painting, he just smiled modestly. Of course it could go up to staggering RM300,000.

The watercolour and arcylic painting is 30% completed. But what awed us that the painting is 90 % from his imagination. All the reefs are painted from his imagination and observation while diving in many diving spots in the country. He only use reference to paint the fishes. He said he had another two months to complete the painting. Ajis felt he is one of the lucky few to get to do what he like and earn a living. Nowadays painters could make a good living from paintings. I guess people appreciate arts more like they used to do. But, whatever the reason, I really like Ajis's painting. It was .. alive.

One of these days, I would love to bring dad to Karyaneka and just walk along the footpaths at the Artist Village and watching them at work or looking at their paintings. Or just simply sit back at one of the wakaf enjoying the Keronchong songs.

No comments: